Sunday, March 13, 2011

Adventures in Multicultural Living: Just being there at Losar Tibetan New Year and standing with our Muslim American neighbors

from ACJ Advisory Board Member Frances Kai-Hwa Wang at AnnArbor.com:

The woman at Jewel Heart temple recognized me, saying, “We have met before,” but she could not remember my name.
“I came last year for Losar,” I said. “And the year before.”

I was a little embarrassed to admit I was like those once-a-year-Christians my Catholic School nuns used to complain about, the folks who only went to church once a year on Christmas. “If they are only going to go to church once a year, they ought to at least go on Easter. Easter is the more important holiday,” the nuns said.

However, I was even worse. Not only did I only come once a year, I did not even arrive until after services had ended — the three-hour services, I should add. I passed the restless children playing outside in their Tibetan silks, “Are services still going on?”

click on link for more: Just being there at Losar Tibetan New Year and standing with our Muslim American neighbors

No comments:

Post a Comment