Monday, April 4, 2011

Adventures in Multicultural Living: Seeking the wisdom of our elders, including legendary civil rights activist and author Grace Lee Boggs

from ACJ Advisory Board Member Frances Kai-Hwa Wang in AnnArbor.com:

I was amused when Asian American filmmaker and keynote speaker Koji Sakai introduced himself to the Asian/Pacific Islander American High School Conference at the University of Michigan as an "old person," from the time of the dinosaurs (complete with dinosaur graphic).
He was born in 1977.

“For those not good at math,” he joked, “That makes me 34 years old today.”

He talked to students about how Asian American media is so much better now than in ancient times (the 1990s), and even better still than when a really old person he knows was growing up in the 1950s, when it was nonexistent.

All my life, I have been drawn to the wisdom of those older than myself, especially women of color. As a child, while my younger cousins played in the basement, I would sit in the kitchen with my mother and six aunties, or my maternal grandmother and eight great aunties, or all my parents’ friends, as they bickered and laughed, scolded and shared.

click on link for more: Seeking the wisdom of our elders, including legendary civil rights activist and author Grace Lee Boggs

No comments:

Post a Comment