Monday, July 15, 2013

Chicago is the World » Justice for Trayvon, Justice for all our children

My article at Chicago is the World:

I am sitting at a beautiful airy music concert, the highlight of every summer, the Big Island Music Festival. On stage is a handsome young man, ukulele virtuoso Kris Fuchigami, with his mom playing backup on keyboard. But I cannot hear anything. The verdict comes through as I find my seat, short staccato posts on my Facebook feed, “Noooo,” “verdict fail,” “#hoodiesup.”

I wish I were surprised by the verdict, but my heart is breaking.

I am typing this out on my phone today because it could not wait.

How do we raise our sweet children of color? What do we tell them? What do we tell ourselves?

click link for rest of the article: Chicago is the World » Justice for Trayvon, Justice for all our children

No comments:

Post a Comment